Every Engine Diagnostic Service Includes
Quality Service by certified technicians
Documentation of the DTCs
Information on cause of malfunction
Free Engine Light Code Pull Service Package
Learn what is malfunctioning with your vehicle so you can make an educated decision that will put you and your passengers back on the road safely and with confidence.
- A scan of your vehicle’s on board computer using state of the art equipment
- Documentation of the diagnostic trouble code(s) (DTC) and code description(s)
- Database check for any technical service bulletins issued by the vehicle manufacturer that may be related to the DTC(s)
- Note - This service is only for vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
Engine Diagnostic Service
Once your vehicle’s on-board computer has been scanned and the DTCs retrieved, it is time to diagnose the malfunction. Technicians at Pep Boys will walk you through what the DTC means and provide the recommendations and quality service you need.
- Road test of vehicle to verify complaint (if running)
- Visual inspection of engine compartment for obvious electrical or vacuum related conditions
- Complete battery and charging system analysis
- One or more of the following tests: fuel pressure, spark, compression, individual component
- An answer to the cause of the malfunction
- Estimate for repair
- Courtesy vehicle inspection
Frequently Asked Questions
The reasons for a check engine light activation range from something as simple as a loose gas cap to something as serious as a faulty catalytic convertor and more. It is important to have your vehicle evaluated quickly by a mechanic near you if your check engine light is on. Delaying an inspection could lead to costlier repairs down the road.
Our Free Check Engine Light Code Retrieval Service provides you with quick and accurate answers from a professional Pep Boys technician. When the check engine light turns on, a fault code or OBD II code, detailing the nature of the issue is registered in your vehicle’s diagnostic system computer. This fault code is stored and can only be retrieved with specialized equipment that can communicate with your vehicle’s diagnostic system computer. We use that equipment to pull the code from your vehicle’s computer, and provide you with a game plan to get your car back on the road.
Sometimes your car will still operate if the check engine light is on. It can even seem as if nothing is wrong with the car. Don’t let that keep you from visiting an automotive repair station near you. The check engine light is on because a problem with your vehicle triggered a fault code and it needs to be repaired. Ignoring the problem can lead to costlier issues later and even put your safety and the car’s reliability in danger.
*** Servicing a hybrid vehicle usually requires removal of trunk access panel for power supply access, shut off and reconnection
A shop supply fee will be an additional charge (except in NY and CA) of 9.99% up to $35.00. Each individual work order will identify and apply any applicable shop supply charge.
Additional labor time may be needed for certain vehicles.